Giveth on pause (maintenance mode)
So, I want to start this thread so we can possibly come to a clear proposal on Thursday. First note: this is just the START of a proposal.
For the last few months the focus of our main donor/Giver (Griff) has been mostly on the Commons Stack (= a project that will enable the creation of community-driven economies with sustainable funding and novel governance infrastructure), because he believes in it for all the reasons you have heard before. Together with Griff more resources have been focused on this initiative (I'm on of those people, so is jeff, loie, .. ).
Right now Giveth is entirely out of funding and we are fully dependent on just one person for regular and ad-hoc rewards. This has caused quite some stress for all of us, which pains me, because each and everyone I work with within Giveth is bringing crazy talents and skills to the table, and are in it for the right reasons. I don't think we've ever been so value-aligned. But splitting myself in two ànd trying to not be a financial burden on Griff has been not the best for my personal state of mind. And I think I'm not alone in this (but again, only speaking for myself).
Personally I've come to realize that if we want to sustain Giveth (as a larger initiative as well as building of the Donation Application itself), we need to focus on finding new - and possibly better - ways of funding ourselves, so we can - together - reach the goals we set for ourselves during our Barcelona gettogether, long but just as much short term.
Putting Giveth 'on hold' for now, so we can achieve our goals long-term, allowing the people involved to focus 100% on the Commons Stack, and other people to focus on funding for Giveth or allow them to find other sources of income for themselves.
This pause will allow us to get funding for the Commons Stack, which will not only bring funding to us on the long term (see above), but even mid-term, because in the Fundraising Iterations for the CS, a big chunk will go to the Giveth DApp integration as an escrow & proposal mechanism.
Some extra thoughts on this:
- Any initiatives that could bring Funding to Giveth (grants, paid presentations, more grants, … :) ) should definitely continue, and I understood that Dani wants to focus on this. Loie also just submitted a proposal. I'll support anyone who's working on funding ofc with reviewing/editing etc.
- The DApp meeting would continue in this proposal, because we're in bug fixing mode, and Alibre might play a bigger role in here in the near future to support us there and hopefully we can work on the next steps as well.
- All other meetings would be put 'on hold' for now (comms, community, unicorn dac, rewarddao, social coding, dapp redesign, … )
- My personal proposal would be that this effectively halts all regular rewards (as of a certain date we agree on), if they're not directly related to funding. Commons Stack tasks are covered by the CS budget. (which is for now - again - just Griff covering costs, until (and if) we raise enough funds).
- This is a temporary pause: until we get funding for the further development of the Giveth DApp (and further Giveth Galaxy initiatives). I have personally no intention whatsoever to ever stop working on Giveth projects, ever.
Gonna stop writing now, still missing loads of nuance and pieces, but that's why we're a bunch of decentralized unicorns with great minds. Please add any & all thoughts.