Main project development, rules and restrictions (I will migrate this to Google Docs soon)
Hello and welcome to Project AGORA,
this is a group for developing the testing-project (java-application, several API's, streaming server) which has to remain apolitical to have any chance of succes.
The goal of Project AGORA is to bring the format of debated and documented politics of the European Parliament in a local streaming format by using our (pirate) rule of three, the public space and the new technology. Basically we give the comments and idea-section a journalistic status; an official searchable status in a videoformat with extensive hashtags and improved citizensparticipation.
This is an unfinished document and my questions here are maily directed to the FORMAT needed, the game-rules and restrictions of the real agora + what is necessary to put it in 'the cloud'.
* identity-verification: (YES/NO)
- everybody's identity is constantly decipherd and used in modern society. So let's say it's verified, by ID-card or by cellphone (application): this is not strictly needed (and maybe not for testing puposes) yet if we want to give it an official character and the idea of equal checked access to the agora medium, is this the way. Since our Virtual Identity has a multitude of information I suggest we use the most elegant and most robust safety requirements, The SocialSecurityNumber has certain advantages and is already in use by the NMBS. Otherwise we'll be using third party apps and that is part of the research we want to document too !
- Also if we decide to extend the posibilities of the application like voting (what are your ideas on the WeCitizens app?) it shouldn't be optional.
- Thirdly: we decipher the possibilities of the automatic facial recognition which could also here be implemented in the public space and because we are talking video. This is a part of defining the new bounderies for the Virtual Identity.
* Locality: do we set limits? Which ones? Do we present the Agora as a time/place beforehand (i.e. sundaymorning on your local village-square when people are at their sundaybest and have time to discuss politics) or can people stream from wherever by themselves (quality-check!) ?
- use of locality by GoogleMaps API, use of third-party Nearby apps
* Moderation: it's our intention to have civilians reach a certain quality in content as well, so that's why I'm proposing the rule of three: one can be the camera, other director. We learn people in this way also to listen to each other, formulate their ideas and use their cellphone professionaly. (Quality)
* Secondly I would propose to explicitely ask to film horizontally with the cellphone: again quality purposes for image/sound and content. So I'm thinking of a MANUAL to organise the VIrtual Agora.
The Agora resembles the local community centre very much but in doing so it makes transparant the different spheres of policy. We only offer a means to make the present problems and solutions visible in a community format. Instead of demanding transparant policy we'll give the forum to citizens solutions and demand an answer. Since agora.vlaanderen looks like an offical canal it might as well later be implemented in the new forms of a more direct democracy.
- Quality in content and image/sound: how ? --> The rule of three: too submit a request, a message or a proposition to the Agora one first has to find two 'backers' The website can serve as an open local agenda tool in which the streaming exposure (i.e. 3m) is equally timed for all. Yet the application can be much more.
* Time/place, number of people on camera, others ?