Thu 18 Jan 2018 9:37PM

Hugo Dixon and Recruitment Thurs 1 Feb

CT Claire Thomas Public Seen by 351

To be discussed as part of media group mtg Tues 23 Jan. Please add your comments/suggestions here.


Sally Long Fri 19 Jan 2018 11:04AM

I will promote heavily on Facebook over the next few days, including in other remain groups. There was £25 left over from the £50 FB advertising budget (£25 spend on comedy night) - will do some targeted paid advertising too.


Tony Ambrose Fri 19 Jan 2018 1:38PM

1)I will contact Hugo to reconfirm start time of 7. We need a facilitator to introduce and manage questions. Is that you Claire? From past experience I suggest we collect two or three questions at a time. If someone goes on too long, or off piste the facilitator closes them down. I am not sure the micromanagement of questions in advance would work that well for us. We have considered it before and ruled it out, though I cant remember why.
2) If we break after Hugo for 10 minutes we will lose a good proportion of the audience, but perhaps no way around that. If we have 8:30-9:15 to play with (that's plenty, people will get knackered, they started at 7), I suggest rather than a list of what we have done, a 5 minute intro , ( Claire again??) about our direction for 2018, taking the campaign to brexit areas, listening to brexiteers, gradually winning them over, being election and referendum ready, Next 15 minutes, ask the floor what they think we need to collectively prioritise and if they can help to make it happen, just ideas, no speeches.
second 20 minutes explain where we need volunteers, and have some well organised tables at the back of the room for people to sign up.
3) Happy to help facilitate if needed.


Jane Riekemann Fri 19 Jan 2018 8:36PM

I think we should have 2 Bath for Europe people involved in chairing the event - one to introduce Hugo, act as a facilitator for questions etc. and the other to deal with the second part i.e. our direction for 2018. Perhaps Clare for the second part and someone else to open it? Someone who's not open/chaired an event but who is familiar with Hugo and his writings - volunteers?


Claire Thomas Sat 20 Jan 2018 4:35PM

Happy to do 'our direction' bit. I will write something. A couple of initial ideas - as well as general appeal for help, would it be more tangible if we said we had actual 'vacancies' to fill? That way people won't feel they have to muscle their way in - there is a ready made role for them to fill. Eg we need an event organiser, street campaigners, a sub-editor for blogs, a letter writer etc - basically where someone has said 'I need help with X' let's ask someone to come and do that.


Alan Richard Champneys Sun 21 Jan 2018 11:56AM

I am not 100% sure yet I can be there. If I can be ( hope to confirm soon) I would be happy to act as the facilitator during the Q&A I have done this numerous times at international conferences, (although not usually with hostile audiences - although Russian physicists can be remarkably stroppy :-)


Tony Ambrose Mon 22 Jan 2018 2:22PM

I suggest we do the volunteer recruitment slightly differently this time. How about having two very specific asks- 1) be a street champion occasionally delivering leaflets in your street and 2) helping on one of our two stalls. To make things as simple and unintimidating as possible we should have a table with a list for champions to sign up leaving their address and tel and another table with a sheet listing dates and venues of the next 4 weeks stalls so people can put heir name against a date and place. We could have a third ask for those with organisational skills: help organise our monthly pulse and our next talk. Again a sign up sheet required. Probably better than just asking people to generally help with events.Its too vague.


Ruth Malloy Mon 22 Jan 2018 4:07PM

OK, sounds good, Tony. However, we must have at least two definite (established) volunteers to coordinate the two street stalls on the next four Saturdays. I can be one of the Bath volunteers most Saturdays, but not always. (eg. I can't on 3rd March). Please come forward and commit to specific Saturdays/street stalls before the Hugo Dixon event!


Tony Ambrose Mon 22 Jan 2018 4:34PM



Ruth Malloy Mon 22 Jan 2018 7:00PM

I'll start a new thread with a link to the Doodle page for the Bath street stall - up to the end of February. Please complete asap so I know who can come! Thank you.


Claire Thomas Sat 27 Jan 2018 5:41PM

I have drafted my speech for the recruitment part of the evening and attach for you to see. Happy to have any comments eg who will be manning each group at the end. In another thread I have suggested that meetings are set up for the Events and Outreach groups so there is something definite for people to come along to, in addition to the Media mtg.


Alan Richard Champneys Sun 28 Jan 2018 10:29AM

Looks great! Can you add a specific line about a call for students and young people to come to the Pulse on 4th Feb.


Alice Hovanessian Sun 28 Jan 2018 11:01AM

Update - 65 tickets sold, no free students tickets booked yet. Please advertise widely wherever you can. Tickets are £5.90, and we have free tickets available to students with a NUS card - they should still book a free ticket on Eventbrite so we are aware of numbers.


Linda Graham Mon 29 Jan 2018 5:37PM

Let me know if you need any help on the day Alice. When are we allowed in to set up?


Alice Hovanessian Mon 29 Jan 2018 10:40PM

Thanks Linda, that would be great. I will post details below to the group. :heart:


Alison Born Mon 29 Jan 2018 10:17AM

Can you let us know whose booked to date so we can chase up friends who haven’t?


Alison Born Mon 29 Jan 2018 10:18AM

Your speech looks great Claire!


Sally Long Mon 29 Jan 2018 12:47PM

Speech looks great Claire, although I'm not sure I would put BfE skills on a CV! (Coward)


Alan Richard Champneys Mon 29 Jan 2018 8:08PM

I will be there to lead the questions after he has spoken if you would sill like me too. . But I may be cutting it fine to be there for 7. Could someone save me a seat near the front (I have booked)


Claire Thomas Mon 29 Jan 2018 8:19PM

Jane said she could stand in for you at the meeting last week when we weren't sure whether you would be there. Jane - would you be able to be on stand by to introduce Hugo?


Alice Hovanessian Mon 29 Jan 2018 11:16PM

Thanks for your advertising efforts, we now have 77 bookings, including 1 student ticket (booked by Anna's daughter!). Please find attached the list of bookings so far.

We can get into the venue from 5pm, I suggest everyone in the BfE team who can help set up arrive from 5:30. Doors open at 6:30.

Please let me know if you can arrive by 5:30 to set up. @markbaines, will you be able to bring the merchandise, display flags, banners and leaflets again as before? Can anyone assist with bringing items from Marcom? We can set up the registration desk outside the door, and merchandise tables in the room as before - Although perhaps near the front instead of by the exit.

As before, I will bring the sign-in sheet, pens, tape, blue tack. I can prepare volunteer sign-up sheets and clipboards for each group, and posters for the doors.

This is what I gather to be the programme for the evening, please correct if not:

5:30 Organisers arrive and set up

6:30 Doors and bar open

7:00 Hugo Dixon (introduced by Jane)

7:45? Q&A (facilitated by Alan)

8:30 Comfort break

8:40 Claire speech, discussion, call for volunteers

9:15 Close and pack up


Linda Graham Wed 31 Jan 2018 10:22AM

I can be there about 5.30 to help set up.


Alice Hovanessian Wed 31 Jan 2018 2:02PM

Thanks Linda, see you tomorrow night!


Mark Baines Tue 30 Jan 2018 8:37AM

I'll be around to help set up, but I'm afraid I can't stay for the event as my daughter gets back from her Erasmus semester in Milan at 6pm so I really have to go and be with her. Sorry to all and I'm very sad to miss it! Will someone have the keys (Ruth?) to be able to replace the stuff at Marcom?


Alice Hovanessian Wed 31 Jan 2018 12:24PM

That's fine Mark, no need to come along to set up, I am sure the rest of us will be ample. Have a lovely time.


Jane Riekemann Tue 30 Jan 2018 9:01AM

Yes, I said I'm happy to introduce Hugo if Alan's not there. Presumably , Hugo will just speak - it won't be a Q & A like IanDunt. My voice should return by then.


Ruth Malloy Tue 30 Jan 2018 12:30PM

Yes, I'll bring the keys to Marcom and can help put things away at the end. However, I won't have a car, so please can someone (Alan? Jane & Klaus?) provide the transport, and even possibly give me a lift home to Weston afterwards?


Jane Riekemann Wed 31 Jan 2018 9:14PM

Just picked this up. Yes, we’ll have s car and can help carry stuff. Will have room to give 2 lifts back home so you’re welcome to have pndcRith.


Tony Ambrose Tue 30 Jan 2018 5:11PM

I have spoken to hugos local agent and friend. He will kick off at 7 prompt(or as soon as we have introduced him) so will arrive earlier. He is happy to talk without any support from us for half an hour or so, after which he will take questions. We will need to facilitate those questions and be prepared to weed out people who go off piste, and shut people up when their questions turn into mini speeches. I have told him there will then be a short bar break, and he is happy to stay on for the last part which will include claires speech etc.


Alan Richard Champneys Tue 30 Jan 2018 5:48PM

Great. I am happy to be the question fielder. I suggest we aim to start at about 7.05 in case of latecomers etc.


Dick Daniel Tue 30 Jan 2018 11:07PM

I could bring my car to Marcom at 5pm, the stuff needs to be ready to load in because it is difficult to park outside Marcom, then I can bring it back to Marcom & give Ruth & anyone else going Weston direction.


Alice Hovanessian Wed 31 Jan 2018 12:20PM

That would be great, thanks Dick. A bit later - 5:20 at Marcom - should be ample time, if that suits you all. Please bring your international bunting again!


Mark Baines Wed 31 Jan 2018 12:45PM

Thanks Dick. See you later.


Ruth Malloy Wed 31 Jan 2018 2:26PM

Alice - I'll try to arrive at WSC by 17:45.
Thanks for offering to drive me home afterwards, Dick.


Ruth Malloy Wed 31 Jan 2018 2:35PM

@maggieturner Please bring some more Bath berets with you to the WSC. I put the last three in the bag for Vivienne to collect from Marcom, to have in BoA this weekend. I also put in 2 EU scarves, but that leaves us with 4 to offer on Thursday evening.
Thank you.


Maggie Turner Wed 31 Jan 2018 4:29PM

Will do Ruth - Will bring berets x 10 for the Saturday stalls you run and a separate batch to sell on the evening.


Ruth Malloy Wed 31 Jan 2018 3:25PM

The 'Bath for Europe' badges from Camaloon (in Spain) have arrived. I'll bring the lot to the WSC tomorrow.


Claire Thomas Wed 31 Jan 2018 8:00PM

I can get to venue for about 6pm.


Alice Hovanessian Wed 31 Jan 2018 10:10PM

Don't worry Claire, get there later if you need to, I am sure there will be enough of us there to set up.


Alice Hovanessian Wed 31 Jan 2018 10:25PM

88 Tickets sold, 2 of them free tickets. We have made £424 on Eventbrite, and hopefully should sell a few on the door, so I think we may break just about even.

Please bring plenty of collection buckets, I hope you can find them. We need lots of collection buckets and need to wave them particularly at the start and end of the evening.


Alison Born Thu 1 Feb 2018 8:51AM

I will get there as soon as I can get away from work. I think people are more likely to donate at the end when they've been inspired by Hugo's talk!


Jane Riekemann Thu 1 Feb 2018 10:19AM

Now see that we're not needed at Marcom - thanks Dick so will get to WSC by 5:45


Maggie Turner Thu 1 Feb 2018 10:37AM

Will be there to help set up at 5.45.


Bryn Jones Thu 1 Feb 2018 10:38AM

Apologies. I have to chair the AGM of Transition Larkhall tonight. Hope it goes well.


Tony Ambrose Fri 2 Feb 2018 7:49AM

Well done to all yesterday. And a massive thanks to Hugo. And a genuinely intelligent and well written piece in the chronicle. Did we get many new volunteers?


Sally Long Fri 2 Feb 2018 10:25AM

Many thanks to the Events team. Great evening


Ruth Malloy Fri 2 Feb 2018 11:23AM

Six new volunteers signed up at the Outreach stand (stalls, including pop-up protests in NES, and door-to-door leafleting). I'll forward the details to Gareth et al later today.


Claire Thomas Fri 2 Feb 2018 4:40PM

I think according to Alice we had some new events team sign ups so good news there too. Thank you to everyone for making it such a great evening. Better set up a thread for Michael Dougan!!