OuiShare Talents - mapping the skills and interests of the OuiShare community
On our monday open sessions (summit #8), we talked about OuiShare Talents, ie. how can we easily find someone from our community to do a specific job, join a project or learn something from them.
* “We” could be someone from OuiShare
* Or (later) also a potential “customer” having an opportunity to offer (--> helping to decentralize distribution of opportunities)
The main needs :
* Having a database of OuiShare Talents, where people skills and topics of expertise are listed, and where we can see which OuiShare projects (internal & external) people have been working in
* Ability to easily search and filter this database with specific criterias
* Ability to see the talents on a map (what are the talents close to me?)
We identified some initial search criterias, the first draft is in this spreadsheet; don’t hesitate to comment on it.
To implement that, we identified so far 2 options :
1) We add some more functionality to the OuiShare main website
* On the profile pages : create a specific taxonomy (so far an open one); add the new variables there ; add the links with the OuiShare projects
* The current search doesn't allow easy filtering based on multiple search criterias (for example, someone in Paris doing Facilitation, working with non profits and having expertise on collaborative finance). We should add this type of search.
on the search tool : so far, when we have 2 criteria in the search tools, it makes “or” not “and”, so it doesn’t allow to filter people
We can use existing profile data and user accounts
It's possible to add any new functionality by custom development
This project might take a while and cost quite a lot.
2) We create a new site for this purpose using a third party tool
* Here is a prototype created quickly with Sharetribe: https://ouishare-talent.sharetribe.com/
* It would mean that people need to create a new profile on the talent database (we could limit it to connectors to start, and then open to members) because it's not possible to pull the information from the OuiShare main website.
* we would need to add a page on the website to make the link with OuiShare Talents.
Quicker to create the site (basic prototype was created in one hour)
No development costs
A site made only for this purpose can be easier to use than a site that has lots of different functionality (especially for third parties)
There's no integration with the existing OuiShare website, so everyone who adds their skills would have to create a new user account, and there's one more online tool for everyone to learn.
(If using Sharetribe specifically): If custom features (beyond what Sharetribe offers out of the box) are needed at some point, we might need to install Sharetribe on our servers, which requires extra work.
What do you think ?
Poll Created Sun 6 Mar 2016 7:31AM
Let's do OuiShare Talent with Sharetribe Closed Wed 9 Mar 2016 7:07AM
After some discussion, it sounds most people favor going with Sharetribe, so I'm making an official proposal on this. Let's turn the current site at https://ouishare-talent.sharetribe.com/ into an official project called OuiShare Talent.
I imagine the practical steps for launching would be something like this:
- Finish the taxonomy (it can be updated constantly but at least one more review round would be great before releasing the site to a wider audience)
- Fine tune other details on the site (about page text, welcome email, cover photo, etc)
- Change the domain to https://talent.ouishare.net (I would imagine this makes more sense than using the sharetribe.com domain) - this is quite easy to do
- Add a link to the OuiShare main website
- An email to all connectors, asking them to complete their profiles
- An email to all OuiShare members, informing them about the project and asking them to add their skills too
- Other promotion? (social media etc)
Sharetribe's white label cost would normally start from $119 per month but for OuiShare it's free, since I'm a connector. :) If it's ok with everyone, I'd like to keep a small "powered by Sharetribe" mention at the bottom of the about page and welcome email, with a link to our main website.
|Results||Option||% of points||Voters|
18 of 226 people have voted (7%)
Bernie J Mitchell
Sun 6 Mar 2016 9:13AM
Agree Agree Agree ;-) Building this AND making online courses is a direction I'd be keen to direct the OuiShare Academy ;-) SO GREAT this came out the summit + pulled together work / ideas from many OuiShare people and conversations. x
Tue 8 Mar 2016 10:39AM
Both proposals have pros and cons, I guess the question is do we want to give up adding this feature to OuiShare platform for the sake of saving time? I'm sure this will be a great tool with either way we go, I trust your decision.
Tue 8 Mar 2016 1:48PM
Before going into votes, I think we should take just a moment to explore the integration possible between ouishare.net and sharetribe. And also answer the question: what should we do with the current profiles?
Tue 8 Mar 2016 6:12PM
I think this would be a great opportunity to really start thinking about a proper communication strategy. So I agree 80% with the proposal of integration of sharetribe and Ouishare.net. but we need to think strategically and discuss it with a sense .
Tue 8 Mar 2016 6:16PM
Hey Guys, this is a great discussion and very important one. Great work Juho! However I think we should give it a little longer time to reflect clearly on the positioning of OuiShare website. Basically some more reflections and arguments.
Tue 8 Mar 2016 6:32PM
having seen how quickly we got a MVP and going I am favoring the proposal. Thanks @Juho for the generous offer. @Francesca raised valid point, but one doesn't exclude the other. Can still be done, maybe move helps to accelerate, experiment, iterate.
Tue 8 Mar 2016 7:01PM
That highligths that despite the vision with the website dev. it is time to honestly think if that's the way to go or not. I don't see a problem on testing if the proposed solution is more engaging the current system. Then decide what to do with web