Update on Pacific NW/I-5 Caravan! 5/18/2014
An update from the WA, ID & OR areas (5/18/2014):
1) Jodie Ficca ("Toad") from ID. has been working with me to find owners of large vehicles for ridesharing. She led me to Tyler Schmidt from Lewiston, ID, near the ID/WA border. Schmidt is going to NatGat, and he wants to take Portlanders along.
2) Schmidt has a '85 Chevy 20 Camper that holds 7 passengers. He is asking for gas money ($65 for a full tank) as compensation.
3) I asked him to send me photos of his vehicle for assessment. Once I finalize the ride, I can begin creating forms and materials (virtually and physically) for Portlanders to sign up.
4) Delphine Brody from Sac. led me to Deidre Avery from Portland. She will contact her father-in-law to find more vehicles for rental. I gave her the price range of $30-$50 per passenger for round-trip.
5) I have been busy creating (and updating) posts on Facebook and Craigslist. We'll see what happens.
Sally G Sun 18 May 2014 9:52PM
Yea! I am adding Lewiston as a start point, Portland as a pick-up point, to the map.
Tricia Sun 18 May 2014 10:44PM
Would it be helpful if the Outreach Group looked to see if there are Occupy groups along the way? They might be able to show hospitality. Maybe set up a media or solidarity event (like the banner)?
Daniel Hong Tue 20 May 2014 3:20PM
That would be helpful! Please look into that and type up the results on this thread! Thanks.
Tricia Tue 20 May 2014 4:04PM
I'll see if there's anything on your way during today's outreach action, using Sally's map.
Toad Ficca Thu 22 May 2014 4:38PM
Hi! I am new, but excited to be here! I have an SUV that can hold two others plus gear! I am flexible, if we already have the van out of Lewiston, I can go the Seattle route, or other ways! Thanks! Toad.
Daniel Hong Fri 23 May 2014 12:43AM
I just received word from Schmidt -- he ended up declining us his vehicle. =((((
Sally G Fri 23 May 2014 2:20AM
Too bad, Daniel, but good try! We now have Toad, though! @toadficca , should I add Seattle to the northwest map? It is linked on the discussion Map the Caravans.
Toad Ficca Fri 23 May 2014 2:25AM
Yes! I will keep attempting to move people in your direction! And I think that Seattle is very important area!!! I went to the first event there...I will do what I can! Toad.
Jackie Sun 25 May 2014 2:50AM
@danielhong is there a facebook event for I-5 caravan?
I'm putting together the FAQ http://natgat2014.titanpad.com/22
also discovered on sharetribe we could add links to the menu - I added I-80. made you an admin, so you can add too
Toad Ficca Mon 26 May 2014 4:21PM
If there is a Facebook event on I-5 I can put my offer up there as well, it is already on Sharetribe, Ridejoy, and Craigslist, which is how I've traveled before. No responses though...still too far away! T.
Julia Clark · Sun 18 May 2014 5:20PM
Whoo hoo! Sounds like that is moving along nicely!