Loomio
Wed 3 Dec 2014 4:16PM

Diaspora* at FOSDEM 2016

LM Lukas Matt Public Seen by 330

FOSDEM is a free event in Brussels that offers open source communities a place to meet, share ideas and collaborate.
No registration necessary (more information).

Diaspora* will have a stand also this year.

This topic is about some organization and/or to inform other
Diaspora-enthusiasts. Maybe some more like to join the event!

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 3 Dec 2014 4:22PM

Really great! I can't come, since I live too far away from Brussels, but good luck with that!

LM

Lukas Matt Wed 3 Dec 2014 4:31PM

I am ready to donate a wingflag if we have a stand. But then I need some help with the design ;)

ST

Sean Tilley Wed 3 Dec 2014 4:47PM

It would be super cool to have a booth at FOSDEM. Take lots of pictures if you go!

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 4 Dec 2014 7:31AM

Definitely coming if we get the stand, most likely coming if we don't anyway :)

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Fri 5 Dec 2014 12:57AM

I'll also try to be there.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:12AM

Do we want to stay together? Same hotel/hostel?

Either way we should order something now. Otherwise we have to walk a lot ;-)

@flaburgan you told me that it isn't your first time. Any recommendation on finding a quarter that could suit us?

F

Flaburgan Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:17AM

@lukasmatt I was there with mozilla, so they paid me the hotel room in the center of Bruxelles. Definitely not a reasonable price so I would not propose to go there.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:20AM

If it was the center.. How long did it take to travel to the FOSDEM area?

F

Flaburgan Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:21AM

I'll be there for sure btw. I'll be at the mozilla hotel if my talk is accepted, else I can be wherever I want :)

F

Flaburgan Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:22AM

@lukasmatt not that long with the bus, ~30 min.

DU

[deactivated account] Mon 8 Dec 2014 8:48PM

I might be present too if I can afford...

PC

Pablo Cúbico Thu 11 Dec 2014 9:52AM

Hey guys! I'm presenting a talk today for the "open source design" dev room. It will be awesome to meet you there if it's accepted (despite the deadline for CFP has passed). One of the organizers contacted me and Steffan about it.

I would love if any of you are interested in joining me for the talk (specially french speakers! I will do it in english anyway).

I'll send a link for the slides in the next hour or so.
But please don't share it! It's a work in progress.

If you have any flyer idea or need any help, ask me! Let's make it right and do something cool.

F

Flaburgan Thu 11 Dec 2014 10:09AM

Cool to see you there :D I think the FOSDEM would be an ideal time to organize an event like a hackaton dedicated only to diaspora* :)

PC

Pablo Cúbico Thu 11 Dec 2014 11:20AM

Here are the slides. The deadline is over (it was extended until Dec 8th), but I've been too busy, I hope they can still consider my application, I've just e-mailed the people involved.

Here are the slides, 90% finished, I want to add some images and maybe a few more slides.

Please don't share!!!

http://vispress.com/fosdem2015

Press "S" to see the presentation's notes, much more context there.

Any suggestions are welcome, and any company on the talk would be awesome, these are some very personal views, but I guess most of you will relate.

I also consider this talk to be a good "cheatsheet" for open source UX which we can use for Diaspora.

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 11 Dec 2014 12:21PM

@hola Very interesting and creative, Pablo! Good luck with the presentation! (fingers crossed)

PC

Pablo Cúbico Thu 11 Dec 2014 1:05PM

Fingers crossed! Thanks! :D

PC

Pablo Cúbico Thu 11 Dec 2014 2:56PM

Well, seems that the talk is in for consideration! Now the committee has to vote.

:¬o

Fingers crossed.

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 15 Dec 2014 9:02AM

@flaburgan any info from FOSDEM about our application? :)

PC

Pablo Cúbico Mon 15 Dec 2014 1:03PM

Hey guys! My talk is approved! \o/

Now I have to raise the money to get there... :S

I have some savings, was hoping to buy a car next year, but that can wait if I don't get any sponsorship.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to be there, it would be awesome to meet you guys. I'm also planning on staying for the week, so if you guys are around, maybe we could do some "Diaspora work week" in person.

And if any of you is interested in helping me out with the talk, or even pick me out at the airport (?), that would be greatly appreciated, since I'll be arriving on Feb 1st, 10 AM, and the talk is at 1 PM.

I'm also looking for a coworking space, or a place with good internet in case I have to work on any of those days.

So excited! @.@

PC

Pablo Cúbico Mon 15 Dec 2014 5:51PM

@zauberstuhl do you have the specs for the wingflag?

Believe in "Law of attraction": if we get the design for the wingflag, we'll definitely get the stand. :P

PC

Pablo Cúbico Mon 15 Dec 2014 5:52PM

@zauberstuhl by specs I mean sizes, etc., so I can replicate it on Inkscape.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 15 Dec 2014 6:06PM

@hola I am currently in vacation I'll send you the details when I am back :) I really appreciate it if you help me out!

PC

Pablo Cúbico Wed 17 Dec 2014 1:36AM

@zauberstuhl awesome! Enjoy your vacation!

F

Flaburgan Wed 17 Dec 2014 5:32PM

Good news, we get the table babies!

PC

Pablo Cúbico Thu 18 Dec 2014 6:56PM

Awesome!!! I'll be speaking at FOSDEM on Feb 1st, time is 13:35 but I'll be arriving at 11:15 so I asked them to reschedule for a little later.

I'll be staying at Brussels on Feb 2nd too, I'd like to visit Paris on the 3rd, and then I'll be in Berlin until Feb 18th.

Who is in for an after-FOSDEM Diasporian meeting on Brussels for Feb 2nd?

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 18 Dec 2014 9:03PM

Super awesome!

So, who is coming to "work" at the diaspora* stand? I'm available for the whole time. @flaburgan is engaged with Mozilla, right? @zauberstuhl is coming? @augier ? @steffenvanbergerem ? Anyone else?

Any ideas on hotels/etc? I'll book flights now that the table was confirmed prob tomorrow, arrival maybe on the saturday, leave probably monday evening. The only hotel mentioned by FOSDEM is booked full: https://fosdem.org/2015/practical/accommodation/ .. I'm ok with hostel etc, though at this age I do appreciate hotel too :D Would be fun to hook up with some other d* people.

Other things:

  • We need some visual stuff for the table - @zauberstuhl suggested a wingflag?
  • We should IMHO print flyers and stickers. Any places of recommendation? Can handle that if someone does the poster design.
  • T-Shirts for the participants? :)

Also, we do have some money available via the FSSN - we should have a vote on whether we will try to use that for the winflag, stickers, posters, etc.

Nice to meet some of you IRL! :D

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 18 Dec 2014 10:13PM

I think I'm comming, yes, at least I'll try. I'll make it in train and about the hotel, I'l try to find a youth hostel (auberge de jeunesse in french) as I don't have lots of money. I won't stay any longer than the week-end though, as I resume the courses on feb so I can't take holidays.

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Fri 19 Dec 2014 12:14AM

I have lectures on monday and a job at the university so I can only stay there for the weekend. I wasn't able to plan it yet but I also think that I will come and try to find a youth hostel or something similar.

F

Flaburgan Fri 19 Dec 2014 8:53AM

Same for me: I'll be there but I'll probably go back on sunday evening.

G

goob Fri 19 Dec 2014 12:15PM

I can ask a friend of mine who lives in Brussels about hotels, if that would help.

PC

Pablo Cúbico Sun 21 Dec 2014 2:05PM

Awesome! I'll arrive on Sunday noon and my talk is at 3:30 PM, so I'll be able to help at the booth only for a few hours :P.

+1 for the stickers, it's the cheapest option with the greatest reach.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 21 Dec 2014 8:10PM

I might attend FosDem with a friend so if I find a third Parisian that want to come, I'll come by car, it will be cheaper.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:10AM

@hola https://sechat.org/uploads/images/scaled_full_e484d7153739cc279033.jpg
I guess 2.2 meters height is enough, no?

I am also "only" available on the weekend,
but I am pretty sure that is still enough time to have some chatting :)

FYI: I am driving with the car from Karlsruhe to Brussels.
So if someone is on my route I can pick him up!

LM

Poll Created Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:14AM

Should we use Diaspora money for FOSDEM advertising? Closed Thu 25 Dec 2014 10:05AM

We do have some money available via the FSSN - we should have a vote on whether we will try to use that for the winflag, stickers, posters, etc.

We should also think about how much we'd like to spend!

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 100.0% 9 JR PP JB C FL LM TR A M
Abstain 0.0% 0  
Disagree 0.0% 0  
Block 0.0% 0  
Undecided 0% 258 BK ST FS MS TS AA S CB HF BO JH DM GC JH F RF M EG G AX

9 of 267 people have voted (3%)

LM

Lukas Matt
Agree
Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:19AM

Spending money for advertising is probably one of the best things we can do with the money.

How much? I have no clue how big "our" money bag is. Even then we should be moderate.
As I already said I am ready to donate the beachflag/wingflag.

LM

Lukas Matt
Agree
Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:26AM

Spending money for advertising is probably one of the best things we can do with the money.

How much? I have no clue how big "our" money bag is. Even then we should be moderate.
As I already said I am ready to donate the beachflag/wingflag.

C

Camil
Agree
Mon 22 Dec 2014 9:02PM

Great idea, things are finally moving

PP

Pirate Praveen
Agree
Thu 25 Dec 2014 7:37AM

I think its a good idea to promote diaspora at fosdem

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:23AM

@zauberstuhl awesome! How much is the winflag?

Just an addition to the proposal - we can decide to request support from the FSSN but whether or not they will help is case by case. I'm thinking paying for material for an open source conference will have a good possibility of passing.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:35AM

@jasonrobinson normally you have to calculate ~100 euros, but I have someone who could give it to me cheaper.. lets see.

F

Flaburgan Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:45AM

@zauberstuhl we have something than ~700$ USD.

To use it in bug bounties is nice too, but promotion is great yeah.

JB

Joe Bew Mon 22 Dec 2014 10:48AM

I'll be at FOSDEM too :D Will be a pleasure to meet you all there!

DS

Dennis Schubert Mon 22 Dec 2014 3:10PM

@flaburgan

we have something than ~700$ USD.

We don't have a single penny unless we've figured out how to properly access the money. Please don't act like we do. ;)

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 22 Dec 2014 5:05PM

ull "">

Not quite correct Dennis. We DO have money available, we just don't have full control on where we can use it ;)

But since we haven't asked yet, we don't know how easy or hard releasing the funds is.

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 22 Dec 2014 5:28PM

ull "">

Not quite correct Dennis. We DO have money available, we just don't have full control on where we can use it ;)

But since we haven't asked yet, we don't know how easy or hard releasing the funds is.

G

goob Mon 22 Dec 2014 8:28PM

I've asked my man in Brussels, apologies for the delay. I'll let you know if he has any recommendations.

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 23 Dec 2014 8:15PM

I'm asking around for some offers on stickers and brochures.

What would be a good amount? 1000 stickers and brochures? I have no idea how many people might pass through the table. But we should not just dump them on the table, but also spread them around to people actively :)

F

Flaburgan Tue 23 Dec 2014 11:01PM

@jasonrobinson I'm wondering if business cards wouldn't be better than brochures? Easier to keep, with only the important information on it (url of the official website, one official e-mail and a nice logo on the front, the key points of the project on the back)

G

goob Thu 25 Dec 2014 8:48PM

Oh, I only just saw this vote. Too late, but add a 'yes' vote from me - this is definitely the sort of thing we should be using FSSN-held funds for.

G

goob Fri 26 Dec 2014 2:49PM

My Brussels contact has given the following suggestions:

Brussels can be difficult for hotels because of all of the EU and associated events - I would look at these two 'aparthotels' which offer a bit of convenience and can sometimes be cheaper.

Aparthotel Adagio Brussels Centre Monnaie

Citadines Sainte-Catherine Brussels

The first one is right in the centre on a busy and not particularly beautiful road, the second is about 200m from there but on a rather nice square known as the Fish Market.

A possible downside about these is that the ULB is quite distant, I think - I'm not too familiar with the ULB campus but I will have a look and then see if they have anything around there. Depends how much time they want to spend travelling in the morning.

Hope this is helpful. If you need any more advice, let me know and I'll pass on the message. He's also happy to help with recommendations on eating out, bars to go to, etc, if you need them.

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 26 Dec 2014 9:07PM

Thanks for the advice @goob. Unhopfully, It's a bit out of my student's budget :(

G

goob Fri 26 Dec 2014 9:18PM

Yeh, I did tell him that some of your are students... sorry I couldn't help you.

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 26 Dec 2014 9:22PM

OK I've been looking for some examples to print stickers.

1) stickit.fi - quality place. Price on quote, but example: 500 stickers 15x10mm, 149€. Colour, cut to shape. I can pick these up to avoid delivery costs.

2) Onlineprinters.com - many configurations, cheap. Example: 500 stickers, 21x10mm, colour, rounded corners (not cut to shape), 100€ + delivery.

3) Diginate.com - seems pricey but prob good quality. Example: 500 stickers (individuals!), 15x10mm, colour, cut to shape, $500 + delivery.

I'd say stickit.fi because it's local from me and I can quickly handle problems with the order and pick them up. IF it happens that the FSSN will NOT accept the order, I'm willing to pay for them :P

About design, opinions? I'd say the logo in helvetica (https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/File:Diaspora-logo.png) with maybe underneath - "open source social network - https://diasporafoundation.org".

Since we are targeting developers here as it's a conference where the majority(?) of participants will be all kinds of open source devs and hackers.

Size of the sticker? 20x10mm max? I'd like cut to shape, it's a nice touch and makes for a much nicer laptop sticker :)

Also, I totally think we should do some t-shirts for those present at the table and also the flyers/cards. Anyone want to design those? A5 maybe or even A6 size?

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 26 Dec 2014 9:24PM

About staying - for me a hostel is fine, would be nice to stay at the same place though as someone else :)

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 26 Dec 2014 9:26PM

Also, is there any reason to stay for Monday? Work looks .... busy for end of jan / start of feb, so unless we can throw up a good hackathon for Monday I'd probably return last flight sunday I can find. It seems most will not be staying for Monday?

PC

Pablo Cúbico Sat 27 Dec 2014 12:29PM

Hey guys! I'd rather use the Roboto logo (https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/File:Diaspora_logo_roboto.svg) and ditch the Helvetica one (and any other) for good. Roboto is slightly more modern than Helvetica, and also, Helvetica is so widely used, it's almost a de facto standard, almost like having no font choice at all.

In any case, for the sake of identity, consistency and integrity, a decision should be made clear about which one is the "real" Diaspora logo.

DU

[deactivated account] Sat 27 Dec 2014 1:18PM

@jasonrobinson : I get back to school on monday so I back home sunday for me. About hostel, I'll try to find a youthness hostel (not sure about translation, auberge de jeunesse in french). I won't be able to afford a hostel.

@goob : thanks for having took a look though ;)

JR

Jason Robinson Sat 27 Dec 2014 5:51PM

@hola yeah roboto is fine too :) I think we decided earlier to "allow" both, but yes, one should really be decided upon as the primary.

G

goob Sun 28 Dec 2014 12:16PM

The adoption of Roboto was implicit in the decision to use lower-case in branding, but yeh, we agreed to allow use of Helvetica where Roboto wasn't available or not appropriate.

@jasonrobinson, would UnixStickers be any good for this? As we already have a relationship with them, they might (hopefully) provide us with stickers at cost price, or at least minus the 35% of sale cost they should be providing to Diaspora... Thanks for all your work on this, by the way.

@augier, it's 'youth hostel' in English. :)

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 2 Jan 2015 9:25PM

Ok I find two people to join me on the trip, that's cool I'll go by car.
@goob : Thx :)

F

Flaburgan Mon 5 Jan 2015 8:55AM

About the Roboto font, the only thing which bothers me is the place of the *, I find it way to low.

F

Flaburgan Mon 5 Jan 2015 8:56AM

About shirts, I can see if I can get some. What are you shirt sizes guys?

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 5 Jan 2015 9:00AM

@flaburgan

About the Roboto font, the only thing which bothers me is the place of the *, I find it way to low.

Me too, but I guess that discussion is separate and already discussed once when it was accepted :P

About shirts, I can see if I can get some. What are you shirt sizes guys?

M for me please, unless it's a skinny fit then L :P

@goob I'll ask UnixStickers today.

How many stickers? Anyone want to post a design that has the "logo" and project URL? If not I'll post one sample tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone want to create the leaflet/business card/flyer design? I can handle the printing.

PC

Pablo Cúbico Mon 5 Jan 2015 12:51PM

Guys, I'll be happy to make a design, for the card or flyers, if you got any previous ones, please do send. Any content ideas for the flyers too.

Just e-mail me at hola [at] pablocubi.co.

Really excited to meet you there! I'll be on Brussels until Feb 3rd, and then on Berlin until Feb 18th, if any of you is on any of those cities, we'll be happy to meet after FOSDEM.

G

goob Mon 5 Jan 2015 5:21PM

I guess that discussion is separate and already discussed once when it was accepted :P

I don't think things got discussed at the time Roboto was adopted...

The position of the asterisk doesn't bother me, but there are other things about Roboto I'm not keen on. However, it is the font of choice for Diaspora branding until we've had a proper discussion about whether to change it.

G

goob Mon 5 Jan 2015 5:22PM

@hola, it would be wonderful if you'd be happy to design some materials. Thanks a lot. And thanks again to @jasonrobinson for chasing suppliers, and other work.

PS

Pavithran S Fri 9 Jan 2015 5:11AM

I am coming fellas . Its my first time so I will be overwhelmed and it might take me some time before I reach diaspora stall but I would volunteer atleast on sunday afternoon or so.
It would be great to see some promotional materials as discussed above. Great work guys :)

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 11 Jan 2015 8:57PM

Finally booked my flights, damn holiday season, just hadn't got around to it. Arriving on Friday, since hostel is so cheap and flight was same price so thought I'd arrive to be there from the morning.. and have a look at some pubs on Friday of course ;) Anyone else around Friday evening for some beers? Leaving back on Sunday on a 7pm flight.

I'm staying at Hello Hostel in the centre - I know it's not near the conference place, I prefer a more central location ;)

I didn't have time to ask UnixStickers for mass prints, so maybe next time. I'll hopefully get the order to Stickit.fi done tomorrow for the stickers (approx 150mmx40mm "diaspora*" in Roboto, individuals, cut to shape).

For the flyers I've asked a quote for 500, one sided, approx A5/A6 size.

@flaburgan will you be able to get the T-shirts?

@zauberstuhl how is that winflag coming along? :)

F

Flaburgan Sun 11 Jan 2015 9:16PM

@jasonrobinson the traditional drink event of friday evening is at the delirium bar. Join us there!

Unfortunately, I won't get the shirts I think, I'm not able to find the name of the company who printed some to me 6 years ago, this is the only cheap place I know...

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 12 Jan 2015 10:22AM

@jasonrobinson I'll book tonight. Maybe I join you on Friday :)

https://sechat.org/uploads/images/scaled_full_af9ea6512828c4a63c06.jpg

BM

Benoît Majerus Mon 12 Jan 2015 11:49AM

As I'm living in Brussels, I can also help out. And if someone is ready to sleep in an appartment with children, he can also use our couch :)

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 12 Jan 2015 1:35PM

@flaburgan OK, I guess the t-shirts are not really needed. I had an idea that maybe we could have name tag kinda things for each person "working" at the table - just with project logo and person name. Make it easier to be identified. Good idea?

@zauberstuhl awesome <3

@benoitmajerus great!

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 12 Jan 2015 1:54PM

@jasonrobinson I really like the name-tag idea!

G

goob Mon 12 Jan 2015 6:05PM

maybe we could have name tag kinda things for each person “working” at the table - just with project logo and person name.

Maybe you could have name tags in the style of D* hovercards...?

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 12 Jan 2015 9:45PM

Maybe you could have name tags in the style of D* hovercards…?

Funny idea :D @hola / anyone for a design? Could print at work, glue to some cardboard and attach to lanyards :P

LM

Lukas Matt Wed 14 Jan 2015 12:57AM

@jasonrobinson I am staying at the same hostel. I'll arrive on Friday .. probably around 5pm.

and still driving with the car http://bit.ly/1sw3awH I can pick up one person!

Cheers

G

goob Wed 14 Jan 2015 5:52PM

A bit.ly link redirecting to Google......? aargh!

LM

Lukas Matt Wed 14 Jan 2015 5:56PM

and you clicked on it!

G

goob Wed 14 Jan 2015 8:17PM

I know. I'm such an idiot... :P

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 16 Jan 2015 11:59PM

@zauberstuhl : You live in Karlsruhe !?

T

Theatre-X Sat 17 Jan 2015 3:24PM

I'm all the way in the States so I couldn't have gone anyway. I might do such an event some time down the road for the Corning Free Software Movement (https://freeculturecorningny.wordpress.com/) after I set up freespora and willow-glass-tree (Corning Inc. has a product called "Willow Glass" hehe). It is just far too early in the movement and I don't want to eat more than I can chew, so to speak.

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 20 Jan 2015 7:44PM

I'm so excited, can't wait! Over 2K beers!

Also, FOSDEM sounds cool too ;)

LM

Lukas Matt Wed 21 Jan 2015 10:04AM

@augier yes :)

@jasonrobinson me too!!! btw we could drive with my car from the hostel to FOSDEM or we could take the bus.. doesn't matter :)

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 21 Jan 2015 7:55PM

@zauberstuhl : Hey ! I had a trip not far from it when I was young ! :p

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 23 Jan 2015 6:27PM

G

goob Fri 23 Jan 2015 7:14PM

I guess you're now thinking it's a shame that the F in FOSDEM is for 'free not as in free beer'... ;)

Have a great time, everyone. And thanks to all those who will be representing Diaspora there.

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 23 Jan 2015 7:30PM

Finally, will be there with my future podmin mate \o/

LM

Lukas Matt Fri 23 Jan 2015 9:58PM

why is it still a week :(

KS

Poll Created Fri 23 Jan 2015 10:12PM

FOSDEM hospitality network meetup Sunday at noon Closed Sat 24 Jan 2015 7:43PM

BeWelcome (and Trustroots) FOSDEM meeting Sunday at noon
http://www.bewelcome.org/activities/1207

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 0% 0  
Abstain 0% 0  
Disagree 0% 0  
Block 0% 0  
Undecided 0% 263 BK ST FS MS TS AA S CB HF BO JH DM GC JH JR F RF M EG G

0 of 263 people have voted (0%)

JR

Jason Robinson Sat 24 Jan 2015 7:44PM

@kaspersouren please don't post advertisements as proposals - or advertisements at all. This group is for diaspora related activity, not general FOSDEM related, thanks.

KS

Kasper Souren Sat 24 Jan 2015 8:08PM

Oh sorry, I want aware of this policy (nor that my post is an "advertisement"). Please remove my post.

sent from my mobile phone

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Sun 25 Jan 2015 10:44AM

@jasonrobinson @zauberstuhl I’m also staying at Hello Hostel. Will arrive on Saturday and meet you @ FOSDEM.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 25 Jan 2015 11:48AM

Awesome, nice to meet you too @steffenvanbergerem !

I'd like to get a blog post out on the blog maybe today or tomorrow, just saying we'll be at FOSDEM with a table. Can draft, will post here later.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 25 Jan 2015 1:07PM

Alright, DRAFT here: https://blog.diasporafoundation.org/9

Please don't share it yet... I'll post it later tonight after a few nods in favour or fix it according to comments.

F

Flaburgan Sun 25 Jan 2015 5:32PM

I improved the image a little bit: https://diaspora-fr.org/kakemono.png

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 25 Jan 2015 5:41PM

Better image attached :) If no objections I'll post in a few hours, once I get kids to bed..

G

goob Sun 25 Jan 2015 6:49PM

Thanks for doing that, Jason. I've made a few minor amendments, hope that's OK.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 25 Jan 2015 7:06PM

If I don't forget it, I'll take my camera (EOS60D). I hope making a film from this.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 25 Jan 2015 7:42PM

@goob amendments are always welcome!

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 25 Jan 2015 7:49PM

Sign up for "duty"

I created a scheduler thingy to map out a bit who would be available and when, during saturday and sunday. I hesitate to use the word "work", but yeah, we need at least one person all the time imho to be at the table - and well, people have to eat and stuff, so it would be good to get a list of people that will likely be there at that time. Even if it is just popping in to check if help is needed and if the only person who has been there for 3 hours needs to go eat. Well, maybe it wont be that bad :D But out of experience I've found that it is good to collect this kind of information before and not wonder at the event where everyone is :)

The schedule thingy is here: https://framadate.org/w4pq89ejebbcfdms

Maybe add your name as:

  • YES if you can be there for approx that time
  • MAYBE if you can at least pop over for a while
  • NO obviously doing something else :)

I can commit to being there for all the event except the last two hours - my flight leaves at 6pm. But it would be nice to walk around of course and maybe see a few talks if possible :)

Framadate does not need registration.

F

Flaburgan Sun 25 Jan 2015 8:52PM

I'll be available the whole Saturday, I don't know about Sunday, that's when Mozilla has a room with talks during all the day so... Dunno.

Ps @jasonrobinson awesome to see you using framadate :p

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 26 Jan 2015 12:05AM

@jasonrobinson @flaburgan Wasn't aware that you used the picture for the blog post. Otherwise I would have provided you with a better one ;)

G

goob Mon 26 Jan 2015 12:22PM

@zauberstuhl you can still provide a better picture and it can be uploaded to the blog in place of the existing one.

PC

Pablo Cúbico Tue 27 Jan 2015 10:49PM

Hey guys I've been on vacation and very disconnected, sorry I missed these messages. If you need any help with lanyards or anything, ping me here!

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 28 Jan 2015 7:08PM

Ping @hola :p

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 28 Jan 2015 9:01PM

I've been swamped with work lately, so this week haven't done much in terms of preparations. I do however have 1000 stickers which I will bring with me :) They arrived yesterday. Not super quality, kinda had to rush the order in. And to keep things in a sane personal budget, they are not any fancy high quality stuff. Also, I kinda underestimated the margin a bit, so the cut is not perfect - but anyway, we can spam the place with stickers, which is better than nothing :)

Attached a photo with a 2€ coin for size reference.

The idea was to have a kind of mix between sticker and flyer, so that is why it says 1) what diaspora is and 2) where it is. Cut to shape nice laptop stickers another day..

However, I would have loved to have some kind of ID plates, if nothing else, just have "diaspora* crew" or something and print out 5 or so with lanyards and wear those whoever is there.

I'm not sure I can get this done since I might not have access to a printer + laminating machine before the flight. Anyone?

F

Flaburgan Thu 29 Jan 2015 8:59AM

Dear Flaburgan,

This email contains a lot of practical information. Please read it completely.

Location

Your stand will be located on the ground floor of the K building, in group C.

Attached is an image of the ground plan. Note that this is just a draft; the scale of the tables is an estimate and the spacing between stands is somewhat arbitrary.

We've assigned the stand places as follows:

K building, ground floor, group C

  1. FSFe
  2. FSFe
  3. FSFe
  4. Diaspora
  5. Owncloud
  6. TOR
  7. Wikimedia
  8. Mozilla
  9. Mozilla
  10. Hack the Knit and Libre Graphics Magazine

Shipping

Do not under any circumstances ship anything directly to ULB or to the mail address of FOSDEM. We have no storage space in either location and your shipment is more than likely to be lost if you send it there.

If there are things you need to ship ahead, and there is really no possibility to arrange with someone local to receive your shipment, contact us, and we will see what we can do. We will not accept any shipments that we have not agreed on beforehand.

Timing

Build-up starts from 9:00 on Saturday. Visitors will start arriving around 10-11, and you can expect it to be properly busy by 13:00 (end of the keynotes). The Saturday program ends at 19:00; you're expected to be
out of the building at that time.

For the night between Saturday and Sunday, there are overnight storage rooms in the H and K buildings. You can also leave stuff at your stand overnight; the buildings will be closed overnight, but we cannot guard the hallways on Sunday morning. We also cannot provide any insurance or take responsibility in case of damage or theft. We do have security staff on campus at all times.

Sunday starts around 9:00-10:00 and the teardown starts at 17:00. All stand holders are expected to help clean up the area around their stand, and the tables and table cloths should be returned to the collection point by the stand holders. Your stand area should be cleared and
cleaned up and the tables returned to the collection point by 17:30.

Various

We provide a number of table cloths, but you are more than welcome to provide any on your own, especially if you have something like a banner for your project.

We will provide you with a power socket. If you require more than one, please bring extension cables. Note that Belgium uses type E sockets: http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
If you need any adapters, make sure to bring them along.

High-speed Internet uplink will be provided by means of WiFi everywhere. If you have a device that requires a wired ethernet connection, bring a bridge device with you.

Please respect all emergency exits, fire extinguishers and other safety material. They will be marked-off by tape on the floor; we kindly ask that you help us keep them accessible.

If you have any further questions, please contact us at
stands@fosdem.org

Thank you for your participation and see you in Brussels soon!

Kind regards,
Wynke.

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 9:35AM

Wow, quite a location!

F

Flaburgan Thu 29 Jan 2015 9:41AM

@jasonrobinson it's awesome to be on the groundfloor. And just next to mozilla, that will be easier for me :)

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:04AM

Would be great to have some leaflets in addition to the stickers hmm. Anyone quickly print some? :D

F

Flaburgan Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:29AM

Well if we have a png this afternoon I can print some but I'm definitely not able to design one.

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:42AM

@jasonrobinson @flaburgan do we have a solution for the names now? Otherwise I would buy transparent film and print some hovercards (I really like your idea) ;)

If you want that as quick solution I need all the names I have to print!

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:54AM

@zauberstuhl that would be awesome if you could do that :)

The names in the poll who will be there are as follows:

  • Jason Robinson
  • Flaburgan
  • Lukas (zauberstuhl)
  • Benoit Majerus
  • Steffen van Bergerem
  • Pablo Cúbico

I think also @augier has said he will come and @pavithrans even though they haven't indicated whether they want to participate "working" at the stand.

Also, maybe a few extras without a name wouldn't hurt. Do you have enough lanyards? I have some, maybe 5 with various companies names on them :P

Awesome if you could do this!

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:57AM

Also I know @tomscott is coming and the podmin of idoru.pl and mmm many others, maybe someone will want to stick around :)

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:59AM

I cannot promise whether I can manage that with in the short time but as workaround I would by
adhesive foil. So that we can stick the names at least to our shirts.

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:24PM

@flaburgan how about this? Anyone able to print some? I might be able to print some tomorrow... if someone else can, please do!

@zauberstuhl @steffenvanbergerem

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:24PM

Forgot file :)

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:25PM

Ehh buggy loomio

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:35PM

Original too, if someone wants to modify

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:55PM

@jasonrobinson I can print a view (~20)

FYI: It is not perfect. But for the short time I guess it should work out ;)

Question; Should we add the lanyards to the top or the right of the hovercards?

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:10PM

Wow @zauberstuhl those look awesome <3 So cool :)

I'd say to the top, seems better to me.

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:28PM

New versions, added user metrics and minor tweaks. Don't worry if someone has printed some already. And please, comments and fixes if anyone wants to feel free :)

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:29PM

Damnit, forgot to export as PDF, so this PDF is the correct latest one.

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:38PM

I'll start printing 20 papers now. guys.. only a view hours left :)

G

goob Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:44PM

Gret work, Lukas and Jason. It'll be a fantastic stall, just wish I could get over there to see you all.

F

Flaburgan Thu 29 Jan 2015 6:48PM

Hovercards are awesome! Sorry to ask that now that you printed it but would it be possible to have mine printed with my github avatar?

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 29 Jan 2015 10:30PM

nope sorry @flaburgan that was a last-minute-job. and the guy which can laminate the foil is not available tomorrow :/

after I left they closed the shop till monday

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 30 Jan 2015 12:07AM

However, I would have loved to have some kind of ID plates, if nothing else, just have “diaspora* crew” or something and print out 5 or so with lanyards and wear those whoever is there.

I should've read this earlier. You can make T-Shirts or sweats with diaspora logo for 20~40€. E.g on spreadshirt, here is how it looks like

It's a bit late now, but ready for the next round ! :p

LM

Lukas Matt Fri 30 Jan 2015 4:20PM

Fyi @jasonrobinson traffic chaos I'll arrive against 9pm -.- at helo hotel

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 30 Jan 2015 7:41PM

hey I'm here too, charging phone b4 delirium. if you get this, ping me on +358451259376.

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 30 Jan 2015 7:41PM

@zauberstuhl ping :)

PS

Pavithran S Sun 1 Feb 2015 7:30AM

Will help with clean up and end closing time !

RF

Robert Frittmann Sun 1 Feb 2015 10:18PM

If there are any of the Diaspora stickers left over, I'm keen to get my hands on some down here in New Zealand. I can't afford to get some printed off myself, but I could make a swap, via snailmail, for some nice stickers that were available during the recent LinuxConfAu2015 at which I was a volunteer (http://lca2015.linux.org.au/wiki/User:Augur_.).

I plan to give away some D* stickers and promote D* as part of our local university O'week (orientation), which I'll be going to as a volunteer with the InternetParty.

If some kind person would like to donate some D* stickers, that would be awesome. Please see me on https://twitter.com/Frittmann and I'll DM you my postal address privately.

F

Flaburgan Sun 1 Feb 2015 10:37PM

I have the left over but I don't think that it's worth the cost to ship them to New Zealand. It's far away, to print them there is probably cheaper.

RF

Robert Frittmann Mon 2 Feb 2015 3:48AM

Fair enough, thanks anyway, it was worth a try.

F

Flaburgan Mon 2 Feb 2015 8:48AM

@robertfrittmann if you don't have money to print stickers in New Zealand, maybe we can see what's the foundation can do.

DU

[deactivated account] Mon 2 Feb 2015 11:54AM

@flaburgan : You can mail me them, though, for the RMLL. If you also have presentation papers, you can also send them. Thanks.

LM

Lukas Matt Mon 2 Feb 2015 12:24PM

Could we talk about a place where we can share all of the pictures? I have four pictures :P I was relying on the guys with the "big" cameras!

@augier @jasonrobinson

M

msas Mon 2 Feb 2015 4:55PM

I would like to print some stickers in the Netherlands but I need a good template. (EPS, pdf,etc.)

Thx.

DU

[deactivated account] Mon 2 Feb 2015 7:29PM

@zauberstuhl : Sure yes ! I can share by ownCloud but that's not secure. I also have lots of video shots but too big to share via ownCloud.

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 3 Feb 2015 12:09AM

A little teaser I made with the few photographies I made is online (third version). Please tell me if you like it and I'll drop it officially. ;)

F

Flaburgan Tue 3 Feb 2015 1:52PM

Like it :D Maybe it can be a little bit shorter (it's a teaser ;)) but images and the music are cool!

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 3 Feb 2015 1:58PM

This is soooooooooooooo awesome @augier :D Totally awesome <3

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 3 Feb 2015 5:16PM

Thank you for the positive feedback ! :D
@flaburgan, hmm... Dunno what to do. Some ask a bit longer, some ask a bit shorter.
I'm not sure to be able to shorten the music more without complitely breaking it :p

F

Flaburgan Tue 3 Feb 2015 5:19PM

Well, the goal of a teaser is to tease :p That's why short is good.

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 3 Feb 2015 6:15PM

Be reassured, this video does not contain everything, far from it ;)
I've shot some epic moments ! :p

M

msas Tue 3 Feb 2015 7:09PM

I enjoyed the teaser. Nice job.

Like to see the end result. :)

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 4 Feb 2015 7:17PM

Still good, you're a genious @augier ! I'll go through my pics asap within 1-2 hours and let you have those, if there is something you want to include. But tbh, that video is really nice as it is :)

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 4 Feb 2015 7:21PM

@zauberstuhl @augier I don't mind hosting the pics in my owncloud - just upload what you want and share the gallery URL. It's not super speedy until I move it to another server but it should do.

Can host a few videos as well, maybe a few GB now, much larger later. I'm planning on setting up mediagoblin at some point, but owncloud is pretty ok as galleries and video hosting go too.

Will upload mine in a few hours.

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 4 Feb 2015 7:22PM

Also, @augier , you can also put videos for public viewing on the team vimeo account.

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 4 Feb 2015 8:15PM

@jasonrobinson : The pics are mainly pics of you, @steffenvanbergerem and @zauberstuhl so if it's ok for them, I'll upload them with pleasure ! :D

For the video, just finishing one or two details. Mixing of the music is still a bit rough (I composed this music 3 or 4 years ago) and I'm not quite satisfied with the ending. I want to put a bit more pics ;)

@zauberstuhl : I'm sorry, I think you interview is a bit blurred :p

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 4 Feb 2015 8:54PM

@augier @steffenvanbergerem @flaburgan @zauberstuhl I finally got my images processed - they can be found here as a gallery: https://cloud.jasonrobinson.me/public.php?service=gallery&t=d23b5f4940e5bbe4af6943de35eacfab

Please let me know if you want any removed before I post them to a larger audience. Please don't share the link before that :D

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 4 Feb 2015 8:55PM

@augier will post a full size download link to you once upload finishes, if you want to use any for your video or something :)

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Wed 4 Feb 2015 10:01PM

@jasonrobinson The photos are great. You can share all of them if you want.

F

Flaburgan Thu 5 Feb 2015 2:45PM

You can publicly show my face :D

LM

Lukas Matt Thu 5 Feb 2015 2:50PM

@jasonrobinson thanks 4 sharing <3

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 5 Feb 2015 4:04PM

You publicly show my face :D

Yes, but no problem, you are a greek ephèbe ! :D

G

goob Thu 5 Feb 2015 4:21PM

You can publicly show my face :D

Especially with the orange shades! :P

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 5 Feb 2015 8:38PM

Ok, this is what I hope to be the final cut. @jasonrobinson thanks for the pics, they are good ! :D

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 5 Feb 2015 8:55PM

@augier I still like it <3 :D Good work

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 6 Feb 2015 5:42PM

Do I drop it now on the official vimeo account or do someone want to wait for a post on the blog ?

I' rather post something on the blog. There's a lot to say. E.g : the most recurrent questions of the visitors.
Do someone want to write something ?

G

goob Fri 6 Feb 2015 6:02PM

There's a draft on the blog based on Jason's account: https://blog.diasporafoundation.org/11

Will be posted soon.

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 6 Feb 2015 6:14PM

Ok, so let's drop it !

I propose the following caption :

diaspora* was present at the FosDem 2015. This video summerizes two days of crazyness and and meeting great people.

Music and video editing by Augier (augierle42e@diaspora-fr.org)

Edit : It's now online. Just waiting for a go ;)

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Sat 7 Feb 2015 9:56AM

@goob Please change the link to my profile in the blog post to https://pod.omgsrsly.net/people/6273149f1c8881f5.

G

goob Sat 7 Feb 2015 12:34PM

Done. sorry, I thought that was your old account, as the pod appears to be down at the moment.

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Sat 7 Feb 2015 12:40PM

as the pod appears to be down at the moment

Srsly? I don't see any problems.

G

goob Sat 7 Feb 2015 1:02PM

Have just sent a PM to that account - let me know if you don't receive it.

JR

Jason Robinson Sat 7 Feb 2015 9:11PM

Awesome, looks good :)

Just wondering should the two so far published interviews be there too? Here and Here.

There should be one more from me and I think @zauberstuhl was interviewed as well.

JR

Jason Robinson Sat 7 Feb 2015 9:12PM

@augier should the video be in the blog post or separate post or just spammed out?

DU

[deactivated account] Sat 7 Feb 2015 9:18PM

I think it should be in the blog post. It has been uploaded in private for now. Just waiting for a go for the caption text.
I also think that I'll take shots of the interviews in another video editing.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 8 Feb 2015 9:10AM

OK I changed the title to be unique, added the video and the interviews.

OK to publish? @goob @augier

@dennisschubert if I push publish, since this ID is 11 and the newest published post is 12 - will this post still be shown at the top and not as second? If not, we should create it as number 13.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Feb 2015 9:48AM

Ok to publish for me. I switch the video to public.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Feb 2015 10:44AM

I'm working on the second video wich title will be What about diaspora ? It will last 5-6 minutes and regroup clips from the interviews.
I'm sad because I couldn't shot entierely one of the interview of @jasonrobinson, but it will do the trick.
If someone wants to assist me on the editing, I can share the kdenlive projet.

Edit : I'm a bit worried because one of the Jason's interviews starts with the sentence I'm here in FosDem with Jason from diaspora, the one and only open-source clone of Zuckerberg's foundation taht wants to know your girlfriend's underware size and if you could please share with the world. I like the starting of the sentence I'm here in FosDem with Jason from diaspora but I think we would like to avoid the previous reputation of Facebook clone or Facebook killer, isn't it ?

LM

Lukas Matt Sun 8 Feb 2015 11:59AM

@jasonrobinson yes. the guy told me he will send me an email if it is ready for publishing.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Feb 2015 12:17PM

@zauberstuhl : Wasn't you interview in geman ?

LM

Lukas Matt Sun 8 Feb 2015 12:20PM

@augier nope

G

goob Sun 8 Feb 2015 1:15PM

@jasonrobinson I included links to the two interviews already - they're in the 'press' paragraph under 'who was interested in diaspora*'. I think it works well to have them mentioned there, but perhaps it's better to mention them there and say 'links below' and have the embeds at the end, like you've done.

@augier that's a great vid, thanks!

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Feb 2015 1:19PM

Thanks @goob. I'm editing the interviews I've done with the 5 members thant were on FosDem. They are all cool except @jasonrobinson's which is in partly unusable because of ambiant noise :/

G

goob Sun 8 Feb 2015 1:37PM

Great work, thanks. Look forward to seeing the interview vid.

@jasonrobinson I've just listened to your interviews, you did a great job and come across really well in the interviews. I've just embedded the HPR audio at the foot of the blog post, so people can get straight to your interview. Hope that's OK.

I’d say let’s publish it as post 11, so save messing around. I don’t think it matters that much if it doesn’t appear at the top of the list, as any links to it (such as in a DHQ or Twitter post) will still open it in full.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Feb 2015 2:41PM

Here is a first raw editing of the interviews. There's still some problems with the sound (e.g : @hola's interview is a bit low) and image problems (e.g @zauberstuhl and @jasonrobinson's insterviews are blurred). I have to see if I can make this better. I also have more material, I have to see how to include those.

I also thought I could include videos of the UI of diaspora and maybe some figures about the network (number of users, post, etc...) and code.

G

goob Sun 8 Feb 2015 2:46PM

I'd say let's publish it as post 11, so save messing around. I don't think it matters that much if it doesn't appear at the top of the list, as any links to it (such as in a DHQ or Twitter post) will still open it in full.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 8 Feb 2015 3:44PM

@goob sure that is ok. Can do it in a bit if you don't get there first :)

G

goob Sun 8 Feb 2015 4:16PM

As everyone seems to be happy, I'll do it now, between bowls of washing-up :)

DS

Dennis Schubert Wed 11 Feb 2015 4:07PM

eh, sorry @jasonrobinson. Was busy as hell.

if I push publish, since this ID is 11 and the newest published post is 12 - will this post still be shown at the top and not as second? If not, we should create it as number 13

it's order by timestamp, not id. ;)

G

goob Wed 11 Feb 2015 5:48PM

Although the timestamp appears to be related to when the ID was created (i.e. when the first draft was created), not when the post was actually published. Therefore 11 (published after 12) appears below it on the list.

DU

[deactivated account] Sat 14 Feb 2015 7:05PM

I made a second version of What about diaspora. If someone has the time to film the UI of diaspora* to help me, I'm running out of time to do that.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 15 Feb 2015 1:13PM

The second version is nw uploaded. It took me three hours ! :/
It is longer and last 5:44.

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 23 Feb 2015 8:58PM

Release! Push to prod! :)

I suggest just a minimal few lines blog post with a picture of the video to click which goes to Vimeo (to keep @dennisschubert happy). No need for a longer story.

Awesome video!

LM

Lukas Matt Tue 24 Feb 2015 11:32AM

@augier <3

F

Flaburgan Tue 10 Nov 2015 2:18PM

Hey guys! Fosdem 2016 is coming, the deadline to ask for a stand is the 13th of November. I'll be there, definitely. @jason11 and @augier are coming too. Who wants to be there?

https://fosdem.org/2016/news/2015-09-24-call-for-participation/

LM

Lukas Matt Tue 10 Nov 2015 3:10PM

ohhh guys I want to but I am not able to participate this year. It is related to university stuff.

I hope we meet again next year at a new hackathon or something equivalent :)

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 10 Nov 2015 5:10PM

It is related to university stuff.

Yeah, things implying ladies with leggings, right?

@flaburgan : So we rent an appartment or we go to the same hostel that last year? @dada should be there too. And maybe @chocobozzz or Marien. Not sure who.

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 10 Nov 2015 8:42PM

I cannot spend more than a few hours per day at the stand. So before we apply, do we have enough people to man the stand?

And who volunteers to design and print out stickers?

But yeah will be there, just don't want FOSDEM to be just standing behind the table this year ;)

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 11 Nov 2015 5:23PM

I'll be there at the stand as much as possible. Just do not leave me alone, guys ;)

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 11 Nov 2015 8:00PM

@flaburgan will apply, just confirmed on IRC.

Anyone want to design a better sticker design than last year? I guess just the asterisk could do, or the old school arty thingy. The last one was too large.

F

Flaburgan Wed 11 Nov 2015 8:04PM

I guess would be cool.

F

Flaburgan Wed 11 Nov 2015 8:15PM

Fyi I applied for the stand. I used almost the same text than last year so I hope we'll be accepted. Answer after the 30th of November.

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 7 Dec 2015 4:43PM

@flaburgan SOoo do we have a stand? :)

F

Flaburgan Tue 8 Dec 2015 9:09AM

Still no news from them.

F

Flaburgan Mon 14 Dec 2015 10:11PM

The stand has been accepted :)

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 15 Dec 2015 7:37AM

\o/

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 15 Dec 2015 8:20PM

Awesome.

So;
* participants at the stand
* stickers
* other material

Discuss.

I'll get a HQ post out in a bit.

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 15 Dec 2015 9:50PM

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 22 Jan 2016 11:19AM

So, we've ordered stickers, two different kinds, black on white and white on transparent (for dark laptops) - both are round with the seed ball logo. @augier made the order and was paid out from Bountysource donations. There is enough that the remaining can be divided among participants to again give along to more people - or even mail to enthusiasts elsewhere.

Since some people felt not ok with spending money donated directly the project without asking the whole community for permission, I guess it is voting time because I would like to print out similar info sheets as last year. I spent approx 100€ last year on stickers + info sheets so would prefer this time to also get paid out from bountysource.

Basically, last year we had 200 info sheets printed out on good quality think paper that is suitable for both sided text and graphics. I think maybe a half went on the booth? So the suggestion was to print out 100 of the same with an updated text.

I've queried my local printer house that does these things fast and in good quality and it would be 29€ for 100 2-sided printouts. So, I'm suggesting the text is refined and I print these out. I will make the order on tuesday if vote passes. This would mean a bountysource payout of 29€ + bountysource 10% fee to myself.

Note, if the vote does not pass, I cannot bring info sheets so please when voting no, be prepared to either bring some info sheets to FOSDEM or mail them to someone going there - or we can of course be without info sheets, though to be honest the table will be pretty dull with only stickers lying around. People did really read these last time and then ask questions. Of course, better ideas welcome, there just isn't time to discuss many ideas..

The info sheet is here in pdf and odt. Feel free to also suggest edits or rewrites or so on.

JR

Poll Created Fri 22 Jan 2016 11:21AM

Should we print info sheets worth 29€ and pay out the sum + bountysource fee from bountysource Closed Tue 26 Jan 2016 6:08AM

Outcome
by Jason Robinson Tue 25 Apr 2017 5:45AM

Was busy today, but will make last minute changes per comments here tomorrow morning and put the order in.

Print out 100 info sheets on heavy duty good quality paper, two sided with info on diaspora*. Pay out to printer the total of 29€ + bountysource fee 10%.

See comment: https://www.loomio.org/d/HUkryp3Q/diaspora-at-fosdem-2016#comment-902198

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 100.0% 8 JR F G PP FL DU DV DU
Abstain 0.0% 0  
Disagree 0.0% 0  
Block 0.0% 0  
Undecided 0% 258 BK ST FS MS TS AA S CB HF BO JH DM GC JH RF M EG G AX PC

8 of 266 people have voted (3%)

DU

[deactivated account]
Agree
Fri 22 Jan 2016 11:33AM

Sounds like a good idea, plus it really helps get the word out which can't only lead to more users, hopefully a lot more users. I think it is only reasonable that you get your money back + some for time in doing this.

PP

Pirate Praveen
Agree
Fri 22 Jan 2016 12:53PM

Good way to spent money.

FL

Frode Lindeijer
Agree
Sat 23 Jan 2016 11:04AM

Let them be nice sheets

G

goob
Agree
Tue 26 Jan 2016 12:00AM

Go for it!

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 22 Jan 2016 12:07PM

Will the flyer be available to download ? So that others can also print for other events.

F

Flaburgan Fri 22 Jan 2016 12:37PM

It's a good idea to print info sheet. I still have tons of them from last year though, so definitely not 200 again. 100 can be a good number, I will bring the ones from last year, just in case we don't have enough. Maybe add the date somewhere next the number, to know when they were taken?

29 euros for 100 looks a bit expensive, isn't it?

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 22 Jan 2016 12:52PM

Will the flyer be available to download ? So that others can also print for other events.

Sure.

29 euros for 100 looks a bit expensive, isn’t it?

Well, the cheapest for good quality thicker paper doubled sided print I could find in Helsinki :) As said, if someone else wants to print the sheets, that is more than fine with me. Also, if the text is trimmed down to one page or even fully redesigned, then maybe one sided is good enough. I don't have much ideas on improving the info sheet unfortunately.

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 22 Jan 2016 7:51PM

I think when it comes to flyers, sometimes good quality paper is just as important as the actual flyer and content./ subject matter. If you were to print 200 sheets of A4 - double-sided with a good percentage covering you would probably use lots of ink and or toner anyway.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 24 Jan 2016 1:01PM

Slightly updated, mainly user and commit counts, otherwise I think the text is pretty good. The first page is from diasporafoundation site and the second I think I wrote last year. Commit and contributors are up slightly last 12 months.

Comments if any quite soon :)

odt, pdf.

I'll upload these to the wiki too.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 24 Jan 2016 6:41PM

Typo. there seems to be a typo on page 2 of the flyer, in the metrics it has 8,1 & HAML, I assumed you mean HTML, also the figures are with commas, which could be a country specific thing.

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 24 Jan 2016 6:52PM

Just to add the flyer is really good. Oh I just found out that HAML isn't a typo as it is the HTML abstraction language, however as most people are used to seeing HTML it is useful to know if challenged on it.

F

Flaburgan Sun 24 Jan 2016 7:36PM

@jasonrobinson I would add something about censorship, like "Nobody can shutdown diaspora*" in the first "Decentralization" paragraph.

Otherwise, good!

JR

Jason Robinson Wed 27 Jan 2016 9:01AM

Scratch that. There is a high risk I can't make FOSDEM :'-( .. Unfortunately I wont know probably before friday morning when I should head off to the airport.

So, it really makes no sense for me to print out these, unfortunately.

@flaburgan @dada @augier would one of you be able to print these out somewhere? Costs are covered by this proposal up to 29€.

I'm sorry. I really hope I can make it, highlight of the year :(

F

Flaburgan Fri 29 Jan 2016 11:11AM

So @jasonrobinson are you in? You have to!

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 29 Jan 2016 11:30AM

YES! Got some help from family and friends. On the way to airport.

But hope someone else printed the info sheets?

F

Flaburgan Thu 2 Feb 2017 8:10AM

Hi everyone! So, like last year, we have a stand at the fosdem. Even better, my talk about "The state of diaspora* and the decentralized social world" in the decentralized internet devroom has also been accepted.

So we need to organize ourselves a little, I'm available to be at the stand during Saturday but I'll mostly be at the decentralized devroom on Sunday. It would be nice to be at last 2 persons at the stand during the whole event, but I do not worry much about that because we're going to be many from the d* community at the fosdem :)

I will bring @zauberstuhl flag, but I don't have any stickers / flyers left from last time. I should have time to print some on friday if we create the template. @jasonrobinson is the previous one still online somewhere?

Here is the e-mail I just received from the fosdem organizer, so everyone has the informations:

Dear FOSDEM stand organisers,

This email contains a lot of practical information about your stands
during the FOSDEM conference. Please read it completely.

Location

Stands will be located in three buildings on the ULB campus: AW, H
and K. You can find the location of your stand on the FOSDEM site:
https://fosdem.org/2017/stands/
Note that the numbers in this list do not correspond with the numbers
in the image that circulated earlier.

Timing

Build-up starts from 9:00 on Saturday. Visitors will start arriving
around 10:00, and you can expect it to be properly busy by noon.
The Saturday program ends at 19:00; you're expected to be out of
the building at that time.

It is possible to start on your stand on Friday afternoon. However,
there is no exact time when the tables will be ready - so if you
arrive early, you will have be asked to help us set up those tables.

For the night between Saturday and Sunday, there are overnight storage
rooms in the H and K buildings. You can also leave stuff at your stand
overnight; the buildings will be closed overnight, but we cannot guard
the hallways on Sunday morning. We also cannot provide any insurance or
take responsibility in case of damage or theft. We do have security
staff on campus at all times.

Sunday starts around 9:00-10:00 and the teardown starts at 17:00. All
stand holders are expected to help clean up the area around their stand,
and the tables and table cloths should be returned to the collection
point by the stand holders. Your stand area should be cleared and
cleaned up and the tables returned to the collection point by 17:30.

Various

The tables provided are 180x80cm wide. We also provide table cloths,
but you are more than welcome to provide any on your own, especially
if you have something like a banner for your project. There will be
two chairs provided per table. You may not tape posters to the walls
or windows near the stands.

We will provide you with a power socket. If you require more than
one, please bring extension cables. Note that Belgium uses type E
sockets: http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/
If you need any adapters, make sure to bring them along.

High-speed Internet uplink will be provided by means of WiFi everywhere.
If you have a device that requires a wired ethernet connection, bring a
bridge device with you.

Keep in mind that our Code of Conduct applies to stand organisers
as well. Read it at https://fosdem.org/2017/practical/conduct/

If you have any further questions, please contact us at
stands@fosdem.org. During the event, you can ask volunteers for
information or contact us at the infodesk in buildings H and K;
or via +32 2 788 74 74 in case of urgent issues.

Thank you for your participation and see you in Brussels soon!

Kind regards,
FOSDEM Stands Team

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 2 Feb 2017 9:33AM

F

Flaburgan Fri 3 Feb 2017 9:44AM

Thanks! I also created something new, linked below. @goob or anyone else want to review it, if you have only a few minutes right now for a quick look it would be awesome, sorry for the rush but I have to print it in the coming hour before my train.

F

Flaburgan Fri 3 Feb 2017 4:48PM

And here is a first draft of my slides for Sunday's talk. If anyone wants to review, I'm definitely not a native speaker.

G

goob Fri 3 Feb 2017 10:49PM

Hi, I'm really sorry but I've only just seen this. For some reason I didn't receive a notification. But don't worry - you are like totally gonna rock, dude!

G

goob Fri 3 Feb 2017 11:08PM

Hey @flaburgan,

A very quick review of your presentation:
Page 1: 'Front-end dev' (not Font end')
Page 2: 'Because we shouldn’t have to obey to their rules' - omit the second 'to' (just 'to obey their rules'). Also, I would remove 'no nudes', as this is covered by both 'nothing controversial' and 'censorship', and you perhaps don't want to give the impression that d* is mostly about porn.
pp. 4-7: I would change the headings to simply 'Decentralized', 'Social' and 'Private', as these would work better with the bullet points on each page. It looks a bit confusing at the moment.
page 4: Decentralized
- free, open-source software to install on any server
- a network built by the installations interacting
- the nodes (“pods”) talk with each other, just like e-mail
- only the pod admins can control the data

page 6: Social
- share content with selected contacts / the world
- post messages, images, polls
- rich content: #hashtags, @mentions, styling with markdown
- react to content by commenting, <3ing, resharing

page 7: Private
- Privacy by default (opt-in vs opt-out)
- No real name nor valid e-mail address needed, Tor-friendly
- Control the visibility of your shared data
- EXIF stripped by default
- Proxified external content with Camo

page 9: The foundation years
page 10: The community years [typo, -tiy]
- Loomio used to make decisions

Hope that helps!

F

Flaburgan Sat 4 Feb 2017 1:35PM

Awesome thank you!