Reduce the blog to just blog, expand and improve mm.cc homepage into one pager, and add 'offerings' and 'open value network' pages on mm.cc
This may sound harsh, but if you look at the components of the homepage of the blog, it's basically a waste of space. It doesn't convey almost any of the important aspects that a homepage should, and the same seems to go for the rest of the blog pages. They aren't set up for a person reading a website in 2015.
I propose the blog goes more into the style of our old friends, the elepath blog http://elepath.tumblr.com/.
The 'offerings' page and 'open value network' page are outside of the scope of this proposal, other than the meaningfulness of their existence, details to be worked out as a separate proposal.
I propose the homepage includes the following components, in roughly the order listed.
-promo video in big format
- 'what is metamaps' section: 'make sense with metamaps', followed by a more in depth blurb
- a section explaining that metamaps.cc is a version of an open technology (this is a big thing missing from blog currently it feels like)
- built by an open and peer-to-peer network. don't use the term 'open value network' here, it requires too much explanation. use accessible language. follow with pictures of a bunch of our faces in bubbles. screw the fact that we don't have a name for the network, just leave it at that. rock the namelessness. we are a network. link to bigger, independent OVN page
- a small section dedicated to the fact that we have paid offerings, link to a dedicated page where they can explore this
- a few testimonials like this one from George Por "The work you guys are doing and the way you go about it makes my heart sing and makes me more optimisitic about the future of scalable collective intelligence and wisdom."
- Partners-ish section, like currently on mm.cc homepage
- Another Call-To-Action like, Request Invite, Sign In
As a scope for this decision, I suggest that myself, Devin, Ishan, Robert, Marija, Raymon, and Ben should at a minimum weigh in on this, and that it take 5 'yes' votes to a proposal to move ahead.
As a process, I propose that Ishan design a very simple layout for the blog. I would volunteer to implement it, which would mostly involving removal of styling and pages, not addition, so that's easy.
This could happen in parallel with a design for the homepage done by Ishan, which I would also volunteer to implement. Implementation would be extremely easy, with a design in hand.
If people are enthusiastic about this idea, I expect that the list of components for the homepage will evolve with the discussion, until we reach a resolution, at which point homepage design could start in full.
Poll Created Fri 6 Feb 2015 11:36PM
Condense blog into streamlined place just for blog posts, design and implement 4 section scrolling homepage Closed Mon 9 Feb 2015 10:05PM
If we can agree on this high level strategy, then further proposals can be made with specific visual designs for both.
|Results||Option||% of points||Voters|
7 of 8 people have voted (87%)
Sat 7 Feb 2015 1:18AM
I think all of these steps allow us to operate more visibly and simply, also making us considerably more likely for more people to take interest.
Sat 7 Feb 2015 8:22PM
"I think we could probably do better" is my feeling with regards to putting this proposal in perspective next to other matters that I think are of greater priority and more clearly defined for action. Not so enthused for scrolling page idea
Sun 8 Feb 2015 9:38PM
I am big on the idea right now of just 'owning' where we are at. Saying to the world "we don't have it all figured out, but there are some things we do, and some things we have valuable experience in".
Sun 8 Feb 2015 10:05PM
I would be excited about someone putting time and effort into designing the UX of the blog pages.